Impacts of Nutrition in Health
What is nutrition?
Nutrition is the process of providing or obtaining the food necessary for health and growth. Fuel (Food) provides energy to the body for you to carry out your daily task. Nutrition isn’t only about eating healthy it’s about maintaining a healthy eating pattern. Healthy eating offers benefits to your health in the long run, as in, the types of foods we consume today have a lasting effect on our bodies. Many doctors believe that poor nutrition can cause stress, tiredness, frustration, and much much more. Nutrition is often overlooked until it’s too late. It’s not just about how many calories you intake from certain foods. The important thing you have to know about healthy eating is what you are actually eating. The ingredients in foods are important because they play a factor in how your body functions. The foods that we intake can have some good or bad effects in our live. Having good nutrition or eating habits are good for physical and mental health. A study done by the Harvard Health Publications says that foods have the ability to affect your mood. For example, “Bad Sugars” that are in candy, sodas and juice that we often eat and drink affects can affect your glucose level making you a high risk candidate for diabetes or obesity. The physical effects of nutrition is that it “Keeps You Young” this simply means that when your older you’ll be able to do the same things you did when you were younger with ease. You will be able to keep up with your family and have fun without it being a struggle. Weight Management is key because exercising three to four times a week can eliminate unnecessary stress. Keeping your emotions in check can be a major priority of you are an emotional eater. How do you know if you’re an emotional eater?
Dr. Oz has said these are the four questions you asked and answer yourself to know if you are an emotional eater. The first question is how often do I eat an am I actually hungry when I eat? This can be measured by the time since your last meal most people began to get hungry four hours after their last meal. The next question is do I like the foods I’m eating and do they have a positive affect on my body? The final question is what do I do when I’m bored? This is a good question because many people eat when they don’t have anything else to do this leads to overeating. These questions will help you better understand why you may or may not be an emotional eater.
What are the basics of nutrition?
Nutrition is often understood as eating the right foods and exercising, which is true, but there’s more to nutrition than just eating healthy and exercising. We all know that food is a necessity to survive. Nutrition is understanding what foods benefit your body and which foods bring harm to your body. Having good nutrition can benefit you in the long run by providing stamina and energy for everyday life. A good habit reduces the chance of the following illnesses:
- Reduces heart diseases (strokes and heart attack) – this is done by understanding the serving size of the foods that your eating and the drinks you drink. Eating fruits and vegetables helps reduce the chances as well. Fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables or canned goods with little to no sodium.
- Lowers cholesterol and high blood pressure – Eating foods with high protein can lower you cholesterol. Some foods that you should eat are steak , chicken and and eggs.
- Makes your immune system stronger – A strong and healthy immune system protects your body against sickness and disease.
- Give you more energy – You will have more stamina and energy to work throughout the day without getting tired so easily.
Effects And Diseases Of Poor Nutrition
- Diabetes – a disease that affects your body’s ability to produce or use insulin. Insulin is the hormone that your body using to prevent your sugar levels from getting to high or too low. People diagnosed with diabetes have double the health risk for heart attacks , strokes and kidney problems. All foods can not cause diabetes but overtime some foods do.
- Obesity – a condition characterized by the excessive accumulation and storage of fat in the body. Obesity does not happen quickly. It takes time and usually is based on the types of food and the amount of food you’ve been eating. Fatty, fried foods or eating the entire bag is having a negative effect on your body. Remember, if you can’t see your feet, you could be considered obese.
What is poor Nutrition?
Poor Nutrition can be eating too much of the bad foods or not enough of the good foods or eating too many foods that have no nutrition. This is why it’s important to give your body a selection of foods to eat and not consume the same things over and over again. Too much of a good thing becomes bad.
Nutrition is not saying that you can’t have cheat days it’s just teaching you how to manage what you eat. Many people eat things so often that they can’t notice the negative effects that it’s having on their bodies. Due to poor nutrition many people have prematurely passed away. A study done in 2012 shows that 599,711 people died due to heart failure. Many people (582,623) have lost their lives to cancer. Around 128,00 people die yearly from strokes and other related illnesses. Some of those death can be prevented by the things that we eat every day. Many people don’t understand the risk of the foods they eat because the impact is often delayed. Nutrition is also poor because overtime food production has changed. In today’s world animal cruelty and genetically modified organisms is a method used to increase the amount of food produced. Considering the health effects of these methods people have a higher chance of becoming ill. Speeding up the production process can take away the nutritional value in foods. When food is handled without proper care many become sick from the things injected into animals. When cooking your food make sure that are clean and following the instructions given to prevent illnesses such as Salmonella.
What are the hardships of maintaining a healthy eating habit?
Eating healthy consistently can be one of the most challenging things to do. Eating healthy is not always convenient, for example… on certain occasions when were tired, let’s face it, it’s easier to go to fast food rather than cook. In today’s world anything is accessible and it’s easy to find yourself eating unhealthy foods. It’s never to late to start eating healthy so start with your next meal and stick to it. The fist step to healthy eating is starting with a plan and executing it.
- Food Planning – is essential you have to know what you are going to eat if you’re going to be successful. Planning your meals should be done when you go grocery shopping. Purposely think about your meals and how healthy you will feel. Another option is to consider a meal delivery service
- Enjoy What You Eat – eating healthy will not last long if you don’t enjoy the meals that you’re eating you can also come up with your own healthy recipes.
Healthy Food Substitutes
Healthy food substitutes are not to take the place of our favorite food and drinks it’s to help us keep balance. Healthy substitutes need to be practiced all the time so as to lead to health improvements. If you have celiac disease, there is no choice… you MUST practice healthy, gluten-free eating. Those of us with gluten sensitivities also know how healthy foods provide a better feeling of health. Regardless of whether you are gluten sensitive or not, or have any other disease or not, eating healthy foods will provide the good energy your body is missing.
There are plenty of foods that have great health benefits on our bodies.
- Yogurt Instead of ice cream
- Olive Oil instead of Butter
- Almond Milk instead of Cow Milk
- Tea instead of Soda
- Popcorn instead of Chips
The number one thing that everyone should do daily health wise is drink water. Water is the most important thing that you can drink because it gets the toxins out of your body and strengthens your body to fight diseases. Water hydrates your body and gives you the energy you need to perform in every life.
What’s Good? What’s Bad?
Not all foods are bad but it depends on the serving size most often we don’t look at the serving size listed on the label so we began to accumulate unnecessary calories which can lead to weight gain and health issues.
What does a healthy diet consist of? A healthy diet consists of eating a variety of foods that brings different nutritional value with a portion size that matches your needed fuel. The main key to sustaining a healthy diet is by eating fruit and vegetables. Having a balanced diet is important because it gives you the chance to reward yourself for doing well. Nutrition is not to make you stop eating the things you love it’s to help you so one day you won’t have to face certain health issues. Nutrition keeps you strong and healthy to do the things you love!