Try this impressive and rich tasting roast lamb and red wine sauce. It’s perfect for any festive occasion!
- 1½ – 2kg leg of lamb
- ½ bottle red wine
- ½ bottle Worcestershire Sauce
- 300 ml olive oil
- 4 shallots
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1-2 tbsp honey
- Juice from ½ lemon
- Juice from 1 lime
- Pour all ingredients into a large, food-safe plastic bag and mix thoroughly.
- Place the meat in the bag and cover with sauce.
- Marinate in the fridge for 24 – 36 hours. Turn the meat 2 – 3 times during the marinade process.
- Set the oven to 180°C / 360°F.
- Take out the lamb and place in an oven dish. Pour over about half of the red wine sauce.
- Roast the lamb in the oven and pour over a little more sauce after about an hour. A 2kg leg of lamb needs about 1 ½ hours in the oven.
HINT: Use a meat thermometer. Remove the lamb from the oven when the thermometer shows 60°C / 140°F
- Allow the roast lamb to rest for 10 – 15 minutes. Carve and plate. Pour the red wine sauce reduction from the oven dish over the lamb to serve. Serve with roast vegetables, mushrooms fried in garlic butter, char grilled capsicum and mint peas.