As a follow up to my last post with tips for making your food more flavorful while keeping it healthy and gluten free, here is a very simple recipe that incorporates some of those ideas.
- 1.5 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 c fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 c fresh grated lemon zest (or chopped peel if you don’t have a zester)
- 3 tsp chopped fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried oregano or italian seasoning herbs
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Place chicken in a baking dish.
- Mix lemon juice, vinegar, lemon peel/zest, oregano and onions.
- Pour over chicken and marinate several hours or overnight.
(I actually use a zip top bag-easier to turn and store in the refrigerator. Or you can use the dish. Your call.)
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Cover and bake at 325F for 30 minutes, uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes or until done.
You could then add some quinoa, rice, (which you can cook on the stovetop while this is baking) potato (some roasted red potatoes would be very nice with this I think-in the oven with the chicken), and some veggies. Perhaps you could roast some root veggies at the same time the chicken is cooking. I know the temperature isn’t exactly right, but we’re all about flexibility and getting the food cooked here, not perfection.
You could saute some green beans, or some spinach and make a bed for your chicken. Whatever you do, you could add a squeeze of fresh lemon just before serving to tie the flavors together. (Whatever you do, don’t squeeze fresh citrus on green beans and let them sit. The color will leach and they will taste great, but look really nasty.)
Enjoy! Let me know how it goes, or some of your favorite and easy ways to have flavorful and healthy meals.