Today we are celebrating my fiance’s Grandmother’s 85th Birthday! She is wonderfully healthy and vibrant, which is awesome and an inspiration. I like to cook, but I rarely measure, so baking is a bit of a challenge at times.
This recipe is so I can have strawberries and cake with everyone else! I like to take recipes and modify them, and half the time just end up substituting and throwing things in. I love to watch Food Network and get ideas, then change stuff to make it healthier and gluten free. But enough dallying! On to the recipe!!
- 2 c gluten free all purpose flour mix
- 1.5 c granular Splenda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1.25 tsp baking powder
- 1.25 tsp baking soda
- .5 c cocoa or cacao powder, I use Navitas Naturals Raw Chocolate Powder
- 2/3 c skim milk
- 1/2 c plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (could also use canola, I like coconut which I’ll explain another day, I promise)
- 2/3 c egg whites
- 3 medium ripe mashed bananas
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Use 2 loaf pans, spray w. nonstick spray.
- Do the dry ingredients and wet ingredients mixing thing, then combine dry into wet, mix well w. mixer.
- You can then add stuff if you want-walnuts, dried cranberries, cacao nibs, etc.
- Bake 40 min approx until toothpick tester comes out clean.
Seperated into 10 BIG slices here’s the macro breakdown: (yours may be slightly different for the flour, and remember to add the mix-ins if you used them, this is for the basic one.)
- 204 calories
- 4 g fat
- 42 g carbs
- 6 g protein
Because it is high in carbs, I would suggest having it after a weight training session, or maybe a smaller slice along with some scrambled eggs/egg whites, or lowfat cottage cheese (in other words, add protein) and have it for breakfast.
Enjoy! Let me know how it goes in the comments!