- 2½ tsp. dry active yeast
- 2 cups luke-warm water
- 2 tsp. maple syrup or agave syrup
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. psyllium seed husk powder
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- ½ cup potato starch
- ½ cup arrowroot powder
- 3 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1 tsp. salt
- Mix the warm water, yeast and syrup together. Allow to sit for 10 minutes undisturbed.
- Add the oil and psyllium to the mix and stir.
- In a large bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together.
- Add the wet mix into the dry and stir with a wooden spoon until combined. Your dough will be slightly sticky.
- Cover and leave on your counter in a warm, draft-free zone for 40 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 230C/450F. Line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
- Divide your dough into 8 equal balls. Line your counter with baking paper and lightly flour it. Take one ball and using your hands, gently create a circle by pushing the dough out from the middle. You don’t want to completely flatten it though. Leave a little pillow of thickness.
- Transfer to the baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes. Turn over the pita and bake another 2 – 3 minutes until lightly browned. Repeat with the remainder of the dough.
- Allow to cool completely before you slice.
- Fill your freshly baked gluten free pita bread with your favourite salad. Or, try some spicy rump steak, chopped parsley, mashed avocado, rocket, tzatziki and lemon.