Gambas piri piri, or prawns with chilli, is a spicy seafood dish with Mediterranean origins. Be careful with the amount of piri-piri seeds you use, as these can be very hot! Experiment with the balance of olive oil, white wine, tomatoes, and lemon juice, to get just the right combination of flavours for your palette.
- 600g large prawns (with shells on)
- 200ml olive oil
- 250ml white wine
- 250ml chopped tomatoes
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Fresh coriander
- Fresh basil
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic
- 10g – 20g hot piri piri seeds (adjust to taste) or chilli powder
- Pour oil, wine, tomatoes and lemon juice into a large bowl. Add chopped coriander, basil, garlic, and piri piri seeds. Salt and peppar to taste.
- Add prawns and gently stir. Place bowl in fridge and marinate for up to 24 hours.
- Drain marinade from prawns. Pour marinade into a large pot and place prawns in a bowl.
- Bring marinade to the boil. Add prawns. Remove from heat as soon as prawns turn pink.
- Make toast with gluten free bread to mop up the extra sauce, and have a spare plate handy for the discarded prawn shells.
- Serve with a green salad and a glass of white wine on the side.