Gluten Free Fitness

Motivation

Is celiac disease a “blessing in disguise?”

9 Comments

Is celiac a “blessing in disguise?”

Yes, I know, some of you are going to get a little upset about that. But really, think about it.

Having celiac disease makes us EXTREMELY aware of what we put into out bodies. Now the trick becomes making sure that it is high quality nutrition, not processed but “gluten free.” Now, I am not going to say all processed food is bad all the time. Heck no, I indulged in some Honey Nut gluten free Chex cereal after my weight training workout this morning. However, in my opinion that should be an exception.

I am a firm believer that if you eat well 90% of the time, (and that could easily be extended to 80%, keep in mind I am a physique athlete and so personally choose to be a bit stricter) that you can eat pretty well whatever you please the remaining 10-20% of the time. Including ice cream, my personal favorite splurge.
But I digress.

My point is, celiacs can’t chew mindlessly on the breadbasket while waiting for dinner. We can’t grab a pretzel at the movies. We have to THINK before we put food in our mouths. So really-if you’re already thinking about it anyway, why not take a little extra time.

Is what you are putting into your mouth not just gluten free, but free of empty calories? Free of artificial ingredients? Is it full of nutrition?

I was once told by a very wise person:

Everything you put in your mouth takes you one step closer to, or one step further away from your goals.

Which direction are you stepping?

Where to begin on the healthy eating journey…

No Comments

It can be overwhelming, can’t it? Eat this, don’t eat that, not too much of this, yes-eat that, but only on alternating days every other week when the moon is ascending…yikes! It’s enough to make you want to dive headfirst into a pint of Ben and Jerry’s. (Which is fine, as an occasional -yes, occasional-like 1 serving once a week-and a serving is NOT the entire pint-but I digress.)

It does not have to be that complicated.

_market_4 Michael Pollon said:

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

And truly, although it’s not quite that simple, it’s not too far off. We are deluged with marketing campaigns of food companies, especially in the celiac community.

It’s easy to lose sight of the fact that there are TONS of wonderfully healthy, tasty, NATURALLY GLUTEN FREE foods!! YES!! A chicken breast is gluten free, as are green beans and sweet potato! Viola! Dinner!